Saturday, January 09, 2016

Update - Ten to follow 2015/16 from Chris Days



Ten to follow update 

The festive period has been relatively quiet for our ten to follow with just three runners and none of them hitting the target.

Saphir Du Rheu kicked off in Ascot’s Long Walk Hurdle the Saturday before Christmas and, to put it bluntly, ran a stinker. Nicholls immediately sent him off for a breathing operation with the aim of getting him back in time for the World Hurdle in March. If he does have a wind problem, his first two runs look very good but I’m not convinced he’s an out and out stayer. He travelled brilliantly when winning a Grade 1 at Aintree, has loads of high class 2 ½ mile hurdle form and just oozes class on the bridle but it may be that we have to wait for the 2017 Ryanair Chase to see him win at the festival.

Next up was As De Mee in the Kauto Star Novice Chase on Boxing Day at Kempton. When I did the list this was the race I had in mind but he hasn’t really looked a Grade 1 chaser yet and confirmed the impression here behind Tea For Two. He’s in the betting for the handicap chases at the festival and my best guess is that’s where he’ll go as he really ought to be very well in off 140, a mark which will get him into everything in March.

At Naas, Tony Martin’s Anibale Fly ran in a Grade 1 hurdle finishing a well beaten third to another Mullins/Wylie hotpot, Bellshill, a horse with high class bumper and hurdles form. I think JP’s Fairyhouse bumper winner may need a fast run race to show his best and he could still be top class but I just wonder if connections might try him in something like the Coral Cup depending on his mark as the trainer does like to win big handicaps. He loves a strong pace to run at with horses coming back to him but might be best covered up in a big field and I can’t think of many jockeys better suited to that kind of ride than Barry Geraghty.

No comments: